Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Vegetable Jambalaya

Good morning, everyone!  Today I am bringing to you, the easiest ever Jambalaya.  I've made this a couple of times, after finding this recipe on the internet.  I have tweaked the original recipe a little bit, therefore, if there is a bean or a seasoning you are not crazy about, feel free to substitute.  I love my Jambalaya a little on the spicy side, so I added chili seasoning and little more red pepper flakes to give it an extra kick!

What I like to do, is place all the ingredients, uncooked, into a freezer bag and freeze it for a meal later on during the week.  I do a lot of my preparing on the weekends, giving me more time through the week to do other things I enjoy.  If you freeze before cooking, it's best to allow the meal to thaw in the frig for approx. 24 hours.  (I like to place my freezer bag in a bowl or plate, in the fridge, just in case for some strange reason it leaks)

ENJOY!




Servings: 7-8


1 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 Tbs Italian Seasoning
1 Tbs Chili Seasoning
14.5 oz can tomatoes, diced or crushed
8 oz can tomato sauce
15 oz can Lima Beans
15 oz can Kidney or pinto beans
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 cups water
1 cup rice, uncooked


This meal can be cooked and then frozen to use at a later time or you can place all ingredients in a large FREEZER bag, place in freezer and then use the meal when you are ready, by placing it in a large sauce pan to cook.

HEAT OIL in a large skillet, over med. heat and saute the chopped onion, garlic, celery and bell pepper for approx. 5-7 minutes or til veggies are tender.  Add the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the beans and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring frequently.


Add beans and cook for another 10 minutes or til beans have cooked through.


NOTE:  If you are freezing this meal for a later date, please allow the Jambalaya to completely cool before placing in freezer bag.







No comments:

Post a Comment