Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend - What are your plans?

Memorial Day weekend is a busy weekend for most.  Some of us will grill for the family, some will travel to be with families and some will spend the weekend relaxing...at a campground!

I fall in the latter part...I love to camp, especially when it's a holiday weekend. Camping for me and my family is a way to get away, a way to just relax, even if it's only for a short amount of time.  



Now, I'm not the type who will drive half a day just to camp.  I want to spend most of my Memorial Day relaxing my a nice cool stream, lake or river and enjoying the sunsets at the end of the day.  Some of the things we will do (on our short mini vacation) is grill, have some ice cold beverages and maybe take up a hike or a walk to enjoy the scenery.  



After many many year of camping at the same campgrounds, it's time for a change.  I'm yearning for something new, something more adventurous and something that will promise a fun time.  I'm constantly searching for new places, places I've never been.  Some of the places my family and I have camped are Wappapello Lake, Missouri, Van Buren, Missouri and West Memphis, Arkansas, which is right on the border of Memphis, Tennessee.  



Van Buren (Current River) campgrounds has several campgrounds to choose from...Current River Campground, Van Buren Campground, Big Spring RV Camp, Big Spring Campground and Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park. Floating down Current River is one of the main attractions, while in Van Buren, and although you don't have to camp to float, it's always nice to have a camp site to relax afterwards...although floating can be totally relaxing. I love to float.  You spend hours floating down the river on a tube or in a canoe. It's a time to lay back, relax and enjoy the warm sun beaming down on you. During your journey, you will see many houses that sit on top of high cliffs and hills, inviting you to enjoy the marvelous view of each house.



Van Buren is one of my favorite spots to camp.  There are people of all ages, young and old, that you will find camping.  You make new friends and everyone is so friendly!  I love the whole camping by the river, dipping your feet into the cool water and enjoying background music from all the campers.

As a matter of fact...I've just reserved my spot at Current River Campground on Memorial Day weekend and I can't wait!  Some of my favorite places to stop and enjoy a bite at Van Buren are Float Stream Restaurant and Jolly Cone Drive In.  



JOLLY CONE DRIVE IN

Jolly Cone Drive In is the perfect place to grab an ice cream cone after a hot day on the river.  You have tons of options when it comes to flavors and toppings. Float Stream Restaurant is a great place to dine for some down home country cookin'!  You can expect to find fried chicken, meatloaf and many side items that will have you leaving full.  I've dined here on my last visit to Van Buren and the food was awesome!  Food arrived fast, hot and I devoured every morsel of food on my plate!

So, if you're ever in Van Buren, Missouri, check out the campgrounds, be adventurous and try your hand at floating.  It'll be an experience you won't want to miss out on.

*What are your favorite things to do on Memorial Day weekend?  
*Do you love to camp? 
*What are your favorite camping places to visit? 

I would love to hear what your plans are for this upcoming Memorial Day Weekend!


If you found this post helpful, or even interesting, please share, tweet or pin.  I would be forever grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment