Thursday, October 27, 2016

Cozumel, Mexico - A Fun Family Vacation

I can't explain why I love Mexico, but there's something about this country that just speaks to me. I love the architecture, the designs and the whole environment of Mexico.  I've been to Mexico three times now, and each time is different.


This month, my family and I went on a cruise.  One of our stops was Cozumel, Mexico.  The first thing we done was a sting ray excursion.  We got to swim with the sting rays (and some fish) as well as feed them.  I will admit, I was a little hesitant, mainly because I have this fear of deep water.  When I say deep water, I'm talking about water where I cannot touch bottom!

Me snapping away on my water camera

We first listened to our guide as he explained how to use the equipment we were about to put on (snorkel, goggles and life vest.)  Now, I had the snorkel and goggles down, because I had already went through this before.  But the vest...Well, it was not your regular orange life jacket.  This was a vest where you aired it up, blowing air into this little valve and then letting the air out, but pushing this valve down.  This was scary!  What if I accidentally pushed on that valve, while swimming!!

One of the instructors, handling the sting ray

Once I had my gear on, I slowly (and I mean slowly) entered the water.  As soon as my foot left that last step...Oh yeah! I could not touch bottom. Panic mode!  After about 15 minutes in the water, I finally became a little more at ease in the water, as well as learning how to use the goggles and snorkel.  I couldn't help but to forget my fear, as I witnessed the most beautiful sting rays and colorful fish, swimming around the bottom, below me.


These creatures gently glided, back and forth in the water.  Schools of fish swam all around us and I was constantly snapping away at my water camera.  After 30 minutes swimming with the sting rays and fish, we then made our way out of this deep water, back onto the dock and then over to the shallow water, where we had our pictures taken, touching and kissing the sting rays.  After our group was done with photos, we then were given two slim looking fish.  These were to feed the sting rays.  Yeah, the fish didn't smell to great and I was a little scared to have the sting ray just come up and suck that fish from my hand.



I can't really tell you if the sting ray took the fish from my hand, because as soon as one of them came up to the fish....I let go of it!  I can tell you, however, that the fish that were already swimming around me, grabbed one of the dead fish from my hands and just tore it apart, like freaking piranhas!


To end our excursion, our guide let us pick out a hermit crab for a race.  The winners (there were three) got to pick their prize...a bag of chips or a shot of tequila.  Now come one...what do you think I went with?  My hermit crab won 3 place, so of course, I took the shot of tequila!  Hey, free liquor!


All in all, I had a wonderful time in Cozumel.  I got to explore the city, enjoy a swim with the rays and enjoyed the beauty of Mexico.  I can't wait to go on another cruise soon, and I hope when I do, one of the destinations is Mexico!


What was one of your favorite places to visit?  Why was it your favorite.  I wanna know!

No comments:

Post a Comment